Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sometimes You Just Gotta Say....

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.... a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up..." Ecclesiastes 3: 1 and 3


I have a calf muscle that started with a dull ache last week (have done a lot of reading about this, turns out extreme cold below 20 or so degrees lends itself to calf muscle pulls! I was only wearing one layer of UA cold gear tights on my legs, should have had two more layers on). I don't think I am someone who can run when it is much below 25 degrees without consequence, I have definitely learned my limits this season.

Anyway, today is day three of no running while I use the tried and true principles of RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation (it feels almost normal today, yay!), and I realized something... I needed the rest body, mind and spirit. It especially occurred to me this morning, when instead of meeting my running group for a 7 AM run, I slept until 9:30, then laid in bed drinking the Starbucks my lovely hubby brought me. Probably because I stayed up late watching movies with my family, instead of going to bed early due to a 6 AM Saturday alarm clock. That, after going out for Mexican food last night with my family...something I would NEVER do the night before a Saturday morning long run.

I've decided that my achy calf was just relaying a message for my whole body. Missing a run or two isn't a big deal (especially since this was my cutback week, I obviously needed it)...but failing to miss a run or two when my body needs to could very quickly become disastrous to my marathon training, on more than one level.


No comments:

Post a Comment