Friday, June 15, 2012

Easing Back In

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28-30

After a full 7 days of no running, I began easing back in this week. A three miler, and a 4.5 miler so far...on lead legs. I was shocked how hard these runs were, but well aware that it will take a full 4 weeks to recover from the marathon.

I am continuing to be cautious, I have a tight knee (not actually painful, and nothing that I couldn't run with, but I want it to heal completely), and my toenails are either lifting up from the beds or black and blue. So much for my summer pedicure dreams. Oh well, I actually consider them a sign of the grit I never knew I had.


I did take the plunge and register for another marathon on September 22nd, the Denver Rock n Roll. It's about 14 weeks away, with my current recovery plan I should be ready to slide into the training schedule in a couple of weeks and fit two 20 mile long runs in before the marathon (one would be fine, though). The good Lord willing, my goal is a spring and fall marathon per year, with a few half marathons sprinkled in. Given my midlife-marathoner status, who knows how long this will be realistic, but I have seen so many runners in their 60s, 70s, and even 80s at my races that I will just take it one marathon at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Mary!! Glad we'll be fall training together!
    Hope to see you with the Divas soon!

    ReplyDelete