Friday, June 29, 2012

Does the Chiropractor Really Help??

But test everything; hold fast what is good.  1 Thessalonians 5:21

This Sunday will be exactly 4 weeks since my marathon, and marks the end of my 'official' recovery period. I feel great, though my legs really are just now feeling normal again when I run. My current quandary is the benefit of seeing my sports chiropractor for a slight nagging right sided IT band issue I have developed. Not painful per se, just nagging.

How do I know if the treatments actually help, or if the tried and true principals of RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) did the trick? I always wonder that after seeing him for treatments, how do I know if it did any good? Or would it have healed on its own?

I am faithfully using my foam roller twice a day, icing after runs, and using my stick, plus 3 days a week of yoga. And the roller and stick hurt, so I know they are digging in and getting to the knots and tightness! I think at this point I am going to see if this works. Since it hasn't gotten worse, and in fact I think it is getting better, there is reason to be optimistic.

Oh, and for anyone interested, I have officially lost one toenail, plus two half way down. 

Tomorrow is a 10 mile run, at sunrise before the temperatures climb into the triple digit range, a range that is wreaking havoc in beautiful Colorado. Running in the heat is bad enough, but the smoke from the horrible fires that are ravaging our state can't be good either. I've retreated to my treadmill a few times over the last couple of weeks, praying the Lord will deliver us from these fires by sending rain and the cool weather we normally enjoy in this wonderful state.


No comments:

Post a Comment