Sunday, January 29, 2012

And I thought skiing was a cold sport....

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
 
I don't ski much anymore (well, really, at all). My skiing days were mostly high school, college, and before kids. The price of skiing now is so high that for a family of 6 it would be cheaper to go to Disneyland (almost). Now my LEAST favorite part about skiing is being COLD, and getting wet, then even COLDER.

Yesterday I decided winter running is more brutal than skiing. Met my running group for a 6:30 AM 12 mile run (a few of the runners who have a marathon coming up met at 5:00 AM in order to get 20 miles in).

Here is my car thermometer when I arrived. The temp was the same when I was done.


It was very dark and cold as we took off. I had three layers of Under Armour cold gear on, which was about right. We honestly felt pretty good after a mile or so. About an hour into the run, though, when we tried to get a drink from our water bottles we were carrying, we realized how cold it really was...they were all frozen! All of our chomps, blocks, skittles, hard as rocks in the packs we were wearing!

We kept going, made it the full 12 and to the house of the runner who was hosting an oatmeal breakfast. After about five minutes inside, teeth began chattering as we started to thaw and our cold, damp clothes felt clammier and clammier. My pony tail was an icicle....seriously, how do you sweat when it is this cold?



Brutal, yes, worth it, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment