Saturday, January 14, 2012

A New Outlook on Running

Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  1 Cor 9:24-25

Getting up at 6:00 AM on a cold, dark Saturday morning takes discipline. Yawning, stretching, fumbling for coffee as I pull on my Under Armour Cold gear, I think I was awake by the time I got in my car to drive 30 minutes to the trail. But just like I knew it would be, it was oh-so-worth-it.

Another wonderful long run with my women's distance running group. 11 very challenging, VERY hilly miles in the Denver foothills, but absolutely beautiful. Cold air, snow on the ground, but no ice on the trail...it really doesn't get any better.



Today I felt a little more in 'tune' and confident within the group. I was able to keep up with their pace, and ran the whole way chatting with two other women. I can honestly say this is the very first long run that I wasn't constantly checking my watch, wasn't wishing the miles away, and truly just enjoyed the run, beauty of nature, and the company of other runners. We talked about our families, about running, about our goals, races we've run, races we hope to run. We pushed each other to run up the hills, some of which were 2 miles long, and steep. But mostly we just had a good time.

The beginning of the run was mostly flat and a little downhill. Anyone who runs in Colorado knows that downhill means one thing:  UPHILL is just around the bend. So as the downhill became steeper and steeper, we could see the uphill looming in the distance. Add to that a bit higher altitude than my normal 6000 feet, it was a great workout. And it did not disappoint. Many of the group had planned to only run 9 miles, some closer to 20, my training plan called for 11 miles. About half way through, on a very steep ascent, I began to think 9 miles would be plenty. However, about mile 8 my trusty second wind kicked in, and finished my 11 miles, feeling like I could run more. With a race coming up next week, I decided to keep to my11 mile plan.

The best part of my Saturday long runs? Coming home to my family and the wonderful Starbucks Mocha my beloved husband has gone out to get me, and a hot shower, followed by being generally lazy for a few hours, or maybe the whole day.

I really do love running. Some days I wonder, but today I am sure. Thank you Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment