Sunday, January 22, 2012

Frosty's Frozen 10 Mile Race Report

Therefore, since we have been surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1

Yesterday I ran my first 10 mile race. Wasn't really sure what to expect. I've done half marathons and other distances, plus my weekend runs are usually at least 10 miles, so the distance is not a problem for me. Which is probably why I was so surprised the race was so hard. This is going to sound like a serious downer, but as always, the Lord works everything for good for those who trust Him.



First of all, I found out the day before that this smallish, local race with such a cutesy name and t shirt is actually very hardcore, and the official race for Colorado (ie meaning the winner is officially the fastest in the 10 mile distance in our state). I don't think I have EVER been at a race with so many ultra lean and mean people. Really there were very few 'recreational' runners, no walkers, etc. I don't remember seeing ANYONE who was even marginally overweight. I found this group of under 400 people to be very intimidating.

The weather was very warm for January (40s at the start, 60 by the end) which was a nice surprise. Thanks to hubby and Johnny being there, I was able to re-focus on my own goal. This was just another training run for me, a step toward increasing my race experience and working toward my marathon goal. So I popped my ear buds in, turned on my music, and tried to tune out the runners.

I am still struggling with starting races too fast. My plan is always to run the first mile at about a 10 minute mile, then begin eeking further and further under the 10 mark as the miles go on. In spite of that, my first mile was 9:30. I justified it with the scattered down hill sections (duh...being a point and back race, that of course meant I had to run back up those big hills at the finish line). The course was otherwise what I call 'Colorado flat.' There is flat, and there is 'Colorado flat,' which means rolling hills and no big killer ascents. I always feel bad for out of state and sea level runners who travel here. They must think our mapping people are idiots!

It occurred to me in the second mile that I had failed miserably preparing the day before. I had been very busy all day at work, and came home to a house full of kids and activity. It had been a hard week, and I was feeling very bad for our college daughter and her friends who were staying at our house over night so they could go to a friend's funeral that day. Add to that trying to get three teenagers out the door by 9 AM for a downtown Catholic youth rally (which turned out to be a huge blessing). Still, after a crummy night's sleep I woke up stressed, tired, sad, and dehydrated. Not a good way to start a 10 mile race.

All in all I struggled most of the way with feelings of wanting to quit, something I have never done. Though I had my water bottle with me, I felt dehydrated and had muscle cramps the whole way. It was an isolated trail run, so no bystanders, no one cheering, it would have been good to have someone to run with. Good thing my Running Coach is always there.



But I didn't quit, and I finished in 1 hour 39 minutes, about a 9:55 per mile pace. And once I crossed the finish line to my awaiting hubby and Johnny, it all hit me how much I love running, and how much this tough race with some of the best runners in my state had taught me. Best of all I wasn't in last place, which was my fear in that hard core group! I placed 13th out of 28 in my age group, and 246 overall out of 380 runners or so (which included a huge population of young, tall, skinny, fit male runners. Compared to a 40 something, short woman...let's just say they have an edge). I can live with that!



I learned some big lessons. First of all, no matter how long or how short, races are HARD. Since this distance is not a problem for me, I took it for granted that the race would be easy, so I didn't give it much thought ahead of time.  The adrenaline rush, the butterflies, the other racers, and the fact that I run harder and faster set races apart from even very long training runs.

Second, I learned first hand the value of hydrating the two days before a race. Because I have always done so, I don't think I knew just how bad it is to forget! It was several hours after the race that I felt re-hydrated, and that was after drinking a lot of water and low sugar sports drinks.

Third, I decided I really DON'T like racing listening to my ipod. Training runs, sure (on the treadmill especially). But in races I prefer to focus on the trail and surroundings. I learn a lot from watching other runners, too (and there were excellent examples on this race!). I think using my Ipod caused me to feel further isolated.

Fourth...There is NOTHING like crossing the finish line, tired, sweaty, joyful crying...to my awaiting family. NOTHING. Whatever full marathon I choose, it must be one my family can be there for. No fun destination can outweigh family support!

Finally, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me. No doubt in my mind it was the Holy Spirit who kept putting one foot in front of the other.

Crazy....just crazy!! I love running, even this tough race!! Because I feel stronger and even more prepared having persevered.


1 comment:

  1. I agree that races can be tough, but like you, I love them! Thank you for sharing your race report. You are truly a great example for me!

    ReplyDelete