Saturday, January 7, 2012

First Group Run

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isahiah 40:29-31

7:15 AM, 21 degrees according to my car thermometer....



I did it! I ran with my group! And I loved it :). It was extremely challenging, a very hilly 10 miles, lots of ice on the trail, and only 23 degrees at 7:30 when we started off. The group consists of women ages 20s to 50s and 60s, all distance runners. Most have done marathons, some have done ultras and centuries,most are faster than me, a few are about my pace, a few maybe took it a little slower. That was the hard part: Following my own pace. Not sure why, it really isn't the 'ego' reasons most would think it would be. It was more a matter of not wanting to hold anyone up, not wanting to get behind and get lost (that was key!), and maybe a LITTLE bit of not wanting to be the slowest.

In my races I usually finish in the top 30% overall and for my age group, so I'm just a tad faster than average.

I think this is going to be good for me. I hope it is going to help me evolve my running from purely a train and race activity to something more social and enjoyable, I could really use that. And, I think this group is going to help me reach my full marathon goal.

I'm super glad my Running Coach coaxed me out of my isolated running world!


2 comments:

  1. love that you had a great time!!! Is this an every Saturday meeting?? When I get to be good, I'd love to look for a running club. Keep up the awesomeness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, you will get there!!! Yes, they do their long runs together every Saturday, plus have other shorter speed runs during the week, and a few social things now and then. The other cool part is they train together and travel to marathons (out of state).

    ReplyDelete