Thursday, January 5, 2012

Running: A Lesson in Patience

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Galatians 5:22-23

Honestly I am very blessed. Since I don't believe in jinxes, I am comfortable saying I have not yet had a significant injury. A few aches and pains, but that's it. But those darn aches and pains can be, well, a pain. Especially when I stubbornly stick to my training plan rather than cutting back on miles or intensity. Note to self: that doesn't work.


Through my various aches and pains I have learned a very valuable lesson: Self Control. No matter how great I feel, I force myself to increase my running gradually, never more than a 10% increase in distance per week (which, until a runner reaches 10 miles, means less than a mile a week). This approach has helped me to see my longest run yet of just a little over 14 miles, a number I will be exceeding in the coming months, by quite a bit.

I cringe when I see brand new runners increasing their distance quickly, running 6 days a week, on steep inclines, etc.  I've learned the hard way that if I preach caution to them, they are only annoyed. Then, without fail, they end up with a nasty case of runner's knee, tell me that if I don't stop running I will need a knee replacement, and decide running is a fool hardy activity. I truly believe that done correctly, running is very safe and healthy.

It never ceases to amaze me how much grace God is showing me through my running. After all, my Running Coach is His Son.


No comments:

Post a Comment